<
HOME  ¦  STORE  ¦  GALLERY  ¦  BLOG  ¦ DESIGN TEAM
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:34 pm 

Flowers. We all have them. Some of us only have a few and others...well, let's just say we have a garden's worth of them! So today, I am showing you several different ways to organize and store your flowers.

First, I am showing you how I store my flowers. When I first started hoarding...I mean "collecting" flowers, I kept them in Ziploc bags by manufacturer/collection as they were sold and then threw all the Ziplocs in a basket. As my collection grew, this system just proved not to work for me. I realized that I really didn't need them divided by manufacturer/collection and if I really needed to know who made the flower for publication/design team purposes, 90% I was able to identify the manufacturer by sight. What I really needed was to have them organized by color. So, I went out and bought some large mason jars because (1) they are cheap, (2) they are cute sitting on a shelf, and (3) they are clear so my flowers are easily seen and can double as "decor." Then, I went through the pain-staking task of dividing all my flowers by color. All sizes are mixed together in those mason jars. This works just fine for me. Except for the super-large, super-old silk daisies from Heidi Swapp that I bought eons ago. I bought large jars full of them in white, red and pink and kept those in the original jars. The one thing I discovered once I sorted all of these flowers is that I am surprisingly low on red flowers...go figure! Anyways, here are how my flowers are sorted...Pink, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple, Brown, Black, White, Multi-colored (the ones that really aren't a majority of one color), and Leaves (I have a variety of silk, paper, velvet-like leaves and they go in here).

And now let's look at how some other scrappers store their flowers...
(A) A Clip-It-Up would be a great way to store flowers if you want to keep them in their original packaging and don't have a ton of them.
(B) Candy-shop-style containers, with flowers sorted by color, give a similar colorful look to a scraproom like my mason jars, but are better suited for someone with lots and lots and lots of flowers!
(C) Have an entire botanical gardens worth of flowers? A whole set of craft drawers with a drawer dedicated to each color would be a good way to go. And, you can get dividers for the drawer to further sort by size, type, shade, etc.
(D) A simple photo box/tupperware with ziplocs sorted by color would be another great way to organize flower if you don't have a ton of them.
(E) We have seen these over-the-door shoe-holders used for just about every scrappy supply under the sun, but what about flowers? That's a good idea!
(F) Now, this one takes the cake in my OCD opinion. These stackable craft jars are available at major craft stores like Joann's. These give you a great way to sort in any method you'd like (color, manufacturer, etc), are clear so you can see exactly what you have, and take up little real estate in your space. Love this!

Hope you found this information helpful! And you have a brilliant way to store flowers, we'd love to see it! Please share!

Also, be sure you check out today's challenge which will help you to use some of those flowers you've been hoarding!

Visit my scrapping blog!
Visit my family blog!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:48 am 

I'd love to see how you all store your flowers!

Visit my scrapping blog!
Visit my family blog!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:51 am 
Design Team Member

I don't have that many flowers. The older-style prima ones in the jars or tubes are still in their original container on a shelf where they look nice. Ones in flat packaging are in a drawer.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:27 am 

mine are all over the place. you really would not like to see them :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:13 am 

I did the same thing Megan, had a TON! First in the pretty containers displayed. Then I sorted by colors in the jars. Then I put the colors in bags b/c we were moving to VA and I didn't know where I would scrap. My bag of flowers were in my bins that I sort by color and then when we moved to FL I put everything in a big moving box and sold the box. I kept a few flowers that I really liked but mostly I am flower free! I just designed with a kit that had some flowers in it (guest spot, check it out on the 8th) and I forgot how much I used to enjoy using flowers. I always used flowers in my altering/home decor items, but I just don't have the room anymore and no one I design for makes flowers.

My Blog: On the Road to Destiny

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:29 am 

I have too many.

They're all stuffed in these three 12x12 drawers.

I would karate chop this stash but then I need them ALL when I do some altered shabby chic thing.

:mrgreen:

Will Run for Stamps

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:52 pm 

upsydaisy wrote:
mine are all over the place. you really would not like to see them :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: Same here Marie! Mine are all thrown into a drawer and a tote. I think I like the baggie idea!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:02 pm 

When I designed my scrap room, I had a blast shopping garage sales, flea markets, antique shops, and discount stores for a wide variety of glass jars in which to store my flowers. I did the same thing Megan did - opened up all the packages and placed them in the jars according to color. These system works pretty well, and certainly looks pretty and adds to the decor of my room. But...I have to say there are a couple of drawbacks. Inevitably the one tiny flower I want is at the bottom of the jar and I have to dump the whole thing out to get to it. And sometimes I want to recover an entire set of coordinated flowers which means sorting through the whole jar. Were I to do it again, I think I would keep some sets in their original packaging.

This is just four of the 21 jars I have on my shelves!

It's not pictured here, but I even have a Christmas tree shaped jar to hold all my Christmas flowers!

SUSAN

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:33 pm 

I have slowly whittled down my stash of flowers also! I just wasn't using them much. What I do have, I keep in a small tin bucket.
Megan, I love your jars!!

MY BLOG: http://www.stephanie-eaken.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:27 pm 

I've been storing my ribbons, twines, etc. and my flowers in jars for a couple of years now.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:21 pm 

runzalot81 wrote:
I have too many.

They're all stuffed in these three 12x12 drawers.

I would karate chop this stash but then I need them ALL when I do some altered shabby chic thing.

:mrgreen:

My reorganized my flowers last night. I always loved the idea of storing them in jars. I even cleared out an entire drawer.

Will Run for Stamps

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:42 pm 

It looks great Alissa! Awesome job!

Visit my scrapping blog!
Visit my family blog!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:10 pm 

Alissa - from the looks of your photographs it appears that you have a very tidy and organized scrap space!

SUSAN