<
HOME  ¦  STORE  ¦  GALLERY  ¦  BLOG  ¦ DESIGN TEAM
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:31 pm 

I have a strong suspicion that the majority of scrappers would say that the biggest organizational bug-a-boo of all is acrylic and rubber stamps. Am I right? How to store them and still have access to them and, most importantly, be able to find what you want?!?

Well, fret no more. I believe, in my humble opinion, that yours truly has created the most fail-safe, most accessible, most ingeuous system of all!!! I'll warn you, though, that it does take some time and effort to set this system up, but it is SO worth it.

I'll take you, step-by-step, and show you what I did.

1. With acrylic stamps, I remove them from their original packaging and put them in CD cases with the innards removed. You can keep the sets together, if you wish, or mix them up according to subject or theme.

2. Give the sets of stamps in each CD case a title. In some cases I used the name on the original packaging or made up my own.

3. Label the CD case with the title.

4. Shelve them in a CD cabinet alphabetically by title.

5. The beauty of this system is this reference notebook. From the acrylic sets, take the plastic sheet that illustrates the stamps' designs and tape it onto a sheet of card stock or notebook paper. Remember the title you gave your set? Write it at the top of the sheet. Now, slip this into a page protector.

6. Once you have all your plastic sheets taped down onto cardstock, and into page protectors, sort those sheets into themes that make sense to you. Finally, use dividers in your notebook to group them into categories. As you can see, some of my categories are alphabets, animals, birthdays, holidays, things with wings, vintage etc. When I want to find a particular stamp, I go to the category it is in, find the reference sheet, take note of the title of the set it is in, and the go to my CD cabinet to retrieve the set which I will find in alphabetical order. If I'm not sure what I'm looking for, I can browse my notebook to see what might be suitable for my project.

To organize wood-mounted stamps the system is similar.

1. Give each stamp a name and make a label to go on each one.

2. Place them on a shelf in the CD cabinet, in alphabetical order.

4. Stamp an image of each wood-mounted stamp on cardstock and place it in the appropriate category in the same notebook that you created for the acrylic stamps. At the top I have written "wood mounted stamps" so I'll know what to look for in the cabinet.

Finally, over-sized stamps required a slightly different approach. These are acrylic or non-wood mounted stamps that are too big to fit into the CD cases. I stick mine down to cling pages made specifically for the storage of acrylic stamps. I have these in the back of my reference notebook.

I love my system and I hope some of you will give it a try. Believe me, it works!

If, however, you don't care for this approach (and I can't imagine why not! :shock: :lol: ) here's a Pinterest board I found that has a wealth of ideas for stamp storage.

http://www.pinterest.com/thressal/craft ... on-stamps/

Good luck!

SUSAN

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:25 pm 

I'd love to see how the rest of you organize your stamps. And...if your stamps are a royal mess, I'd love to see you give my system a try!

SUSAN

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:39 am 

I have an Iris cart for my wooden stamps, a basket for oversized stamps and miscellaneous others, and CTMH boxes for the rest. I don't have many stamps compared to all those I just saw on Pinterest!!! Anyway, I think I need that notebook just to remind me what I have so I'll remember to use them! :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:36 am 

Wow Susan, your organization puts me to shame!!! I have my stamos in drawers in my rmoire. But I really don;t have too many. If I had to guess, I'd say I only have around 50 stamps.

MY BLOG: http://www.stephanie-eaken.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:55 pm 

Totally love it Susan!

I have all my acrylic stamps in CD cases too. And my wood-mounted ones are in a drawer. But, I do not have a reference binder. It's actually been on my to do list to make one for awhile...just keeps getting pushed to the back burner.

Visit my scrapping blog!
Visit my family blog!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:13 pm 

This is great, Susan! I don't have a reference binder but I keep a digital inventory of my stamps in iPhoto, like my paper collection. Very handy!

Will Run for Stamps